Myers, Rev. Jane Morrison
The Rev. Jane Morrison Myers, who began studies toward ordination as an elder as soon as the predecessor Methodist Church began ordaining women as full clergy members in 1956, passed away on Thursday, April 20, 2017, in Erie, at the age of 95.
Born on November 26, 1921, daughter of the late Karl E. Morrison of Erie and Edna May (Wolfgang) Morrison of Albany, N.Y., she attended Erie public schools: McKinley Elementary, Wilson Junior High, Academy, and Strong Vincent High. She graduated from Edinboro State Teachers College in 1944, and subsequently earned graduate degrees from Penn State (M.Ed., 1947) and The Methodist Theological School in Ohio (M.Div., 1974).
She married Herbert N. Myers of Bellingham, Wash. in 1949, and they had three children, Edna, Louis, and Mark. She is survived by Edna of San Diego, Calif. and Mark of Canton, Ohio.; a brother, Earl Morrison of Fort Wayne, Ind.; a sister, Edna (Mrs. George) Palmer of Harborcreek; four grandchildren; six great-grandchildren; and several generations of nieces and nephews.
Although she taught school and was a school speech therapist for a number of years, her vocation was working for the United Methodist Church. She served as a church secretary at the Wayne Street Church in Erie and then at the United Methodist Church in Cattaraugus, N.Y. After her ordination as a deaconess, she served as Director of Christian Education in Cattaraugus and then at First United Methodist Church in Sharon, Pa.
When the predecessor Methodist Church began ordaining women as full clergy in 1956, Jane started studying towards that goal, taking correspondence courses. With three small children to care for, her progress was slow. As her children grew, she took summer courses at Scarritt College in Nashville, Tenn. Finally, when her youngest child finished high school, she started attending the Methodist Theological School in Ohio. She was ordained a deacon in 1972, and served a three-point charge in Baltic, Fresno, and Orange, Ohio. After she completed her studies in 1974, she was appointed to serve the congregation in Eldersville, Pa. She was ordained an elder in 1975, and served in Eldersville until her retirement in 1984.
After retirement, she lived for a few years in California with her daughter, then returned to Erie. She divided her time between travellng and taking a very active part in the life of Henderson United Methodist Church, the church of her childhood.
Friends were received at the Dusckas Funeral Home, Inc.,in Erie, on Saturday, April 22. The funeral service was scheduled for 1 p.m., Sunday, April 23 at Henderson United Methodist Church with the Rev. Mary Stewart officiating. Interment was to follow at Liberty Park Cemetery, Cattaraugus, N.Y. Memorial contributions may be designated to the Henderson United Methodist Church, 2004 Camphausen, Erie, PA 16510.