Lay Servant Ministry Schools Scheduled
A variety of classes will be offered for laity all around Western Pennsylvania at Lay Servant Ministry Schools scheduled in several districts.
Lay Servant Ministries is a leadership development program in The United Methodist Church focused on equipping and empowering laypersons to serve in mission and ministry.
The UMC has established three categories for laypersons in the area of lay servant ministries to develop, prepare, and engage principled Christian leaders for the mission of making disciples for the transformation of the world:
- Certified Lay Servant
- Certified Lay Speaker
- Certified Lay Minister
Those certified as lay servants who wish to develop their skills further may choose a track to become certified as lay speakers (those who are called specifically to pulpit supply) or as lay ministers (those who are called to long-term, intentional ministry as part of a ministry team).
Lay Servant Ministry schools offered this spring in Western Pennsylvania are:
- Sundays, February 18 to March 18, 2 to 4:30 p.m., Washington First UMC (Washington District)
- Sundays, February 18 to March 18, 2 to 4:30 p.m., 2-5 p.m., Somerset Grace UMC Brochure Register
- Sundays, February 18 to March 18, 2 to 5 p.m., Harmony-Zelienople UMC (Butler District) Brochure
- Tuesdays, March 6 to March 27, 6-8:30p.m., Waterford: Asbury UMC (Erie-Meadville Dist.) Registration Form
- Saturday, April 7 to Saturday, May 5, 9 to 11:30 a.m., McKeesport First UMC (Greensburg District) Register
- Sundays, April 8 to Sunday, May 20, 2:30 to 5:30 p.m., Clarion First UMC (Franklin District) Get Brochure
- Saturdays, April 14 and April 21, multiple locations in the Kane District, Details TBA
For more information, contact the District Office for the location listed. Find contact information at wpaumc.org/districts.