Clergy Communities of Practice Facilitators Trained
Eight Western Pennsylvania clergy were trained Nov. 14-15 as facilitators for Clergy Communities of Practice, which will be launched in January 2017 in eight locations from across Western Pennsylvania
“Clergy Communities of Practice are a type of covenant group meant to support the development of Christian leaders by encouraging those who desire to get to the next place in their ministry,” said the Rev. Susan Moudry, director of clergy excellence for the Conference. “They focus on engagement with peers and help to reverse trends of isolation among clergy.” Participants meet regularly to share in prayer and fellowship, as well as some time focused on learning and application. “Crucially, emphasis in these groups will be on bringing learning into practice, not simply building up knowledge,” she said.
Each community will hold 10 meetings over the course of the year; two months will be taken off at the discretion of the facilitator.
Meetings will last four hours and will include a meal. Each will be led by a trained clergy facilitator who will invite conversation and ask questions, rather than serving as an expert.
Learning will be focused topically and participants can expect to read around 100 pages each month in preparation for gatherings. Participants are expected to engage in every meeting and come prepared to discuss readings.
There is no cost to participate in a Clergy Community of Practice other than travel. All meals will be provided. The cost of books may be reimbursed with documentation.
Any clergy person is invited to prayerfully consider participating. Those involved can receive four CEUs. The first eight communities will meet monthly at the following locations:
- Kittanning: First UMC - 3rd Tuesday of each month, time TBD with Wade Berkey facilitating
- Waynesburg: Oak View UMC - 4th Tuesday from 11:00-3:00 with Sue Hoover facilitating
- Pittsburgh: West View UMC - Last Thursday, time TBD with Renee Mikell facilitating
- Brockway: Lanes Mills UMC - 3rd Monday from 10:00-2:00 with Bob Trask facilitating
- Fredonia UMC (north of Mercer) - 1st Wednesday from 9:00-1:00 with Tina Keller facilitating
- Johnstown: Belmont UMC - 2nd Wednesday from 10:00-2:00 with Keith Dunn facilitating
- Erie: Asbury UMC - 2nd Thursday of each month, time TBD with Bruce Davis facilitating
- Warren: First UMC - 3rd Thursdays of each month from 10:00-2:00 with Mark Hecht facilitating
For more information, contact Susan Moudry at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Clergy Communities of Practice