Volunteers in Mission Training Sessions Scheduled
Rev. Stephanie Gottschalk, Conference Missions/VIM coordinator, has scheduled Volunteers In Mission (UMVIM) training sessions in March and April at 13 locations around Western PA.
The training sessions are open to anyone interested in hands-on mission opportunities and are required for those leading a mission team through the United Methodist Church. Teams with certified leaders are eligible for UMVIM insurance coverage.
UMVIM, which provides everyday people with the opportunity to be short-term missionaries, is one of the most heralded programs in the UMC. Volunteers go in teams to do construction and spiritual formation projects for people and places in need. The teams include people of all different skill levels, serving as the hands and eyes of Christ. UMVIM gives hope to the hopeless and provides countless opportunties for spiritual growth.
Gottschalk will facilitate the Western PA training sessions, which will provide information on preparing a UMVIM team for service, including effective project selection, spiritual development, cultural sensitivity, logistics, and financing.
The training is designed for:
- Anyone who has thought about joining a VIM Team and want to know what to expect
- Those who want to know more about Volunteers In Mission opportunities for local churches and what goes into planning a VIM experience
- Anyone who has been part of a VIM Team and hopes to lead one in the future
- Current VIM leaders willing to share their experiences and become re-certified
Participants will use the recently published “A Mission Journey: A Handbook for Volunteers,” developed by a task force of United Methodist Volunteers in Mission and international Volunteers in Mission. Included are team activities, a “best practices list” for hosting and sending teams and an appendix of related information. Read more about the handbook.
The cost for a training session, including a hard copy of the handbook, is $18. Participants can opt to pay $6 for the training only and use an e-book version of the handbook, available from amazon.com or bn.com for $9.99.
Training sessions are scheduled:
Register for a training session
Learn more about UMVIM.
Download a VIM Training Bulletin Insert
- Friday, March 7 9:30a.m. – 3 p.m. @ West Freedom UMC,
- Sunday, March 9 2 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. @ Garden City UMC
- Wednesday, March 12 9:30 a.m. – 3 p.m. @ Grace UMC, Somerset
- Friday, March 14 9:30 a.m. – 3 p.m @ Stone UMC, Meadville
- Wednesday, March 19 9:30 a.m. – 3 p.m @ First UMC: Kane
- Saturday. March 22 9:30 a.m. – 3 p.m @ First UMC: Greensburg
- Monday, March 24 9:30 a.m. – 3 p.m @ Ebensburg UMC
- Sunday, March 30 2 p.m. - 7:30 p.m @ Grace UMC, Grove City
- Monday, March 31 9:30 a.m. – 3 p.m @ First UMC: Waynesburg
- Saturday, April 5 9:30 a.m. – 3 p.m @ Zion UMC, Sarver
- Sunday, April 6 2 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. @ Christ UMC, Bethel Park
- Saturday, April 12 9:30 a.m. – 3 p.m @ UM Center, Cranberry
- Wednesday, April 30 9:30 a.m. – 3 p.m @ Lakeside UMC, Dubois