Who are the Laity? We are not ordained clergy. We are not just the Lay Leader, Committee Chairpersons or the Lay speakers in the local church. We are the congregation, those not ordained but equally called to do ministry.
Sunday, October 15, 2023, is Laity Sunday. Laity Sunday is one of five Awareness Special Sundays in the United Methodist Church, when we celebrate the ministry and witness of laypersons within the church. We focus on how all lay Christians are empowered by the Holy Spirit for ministry and equipped to make disciples of Jesus Christ in a world desperately in need of healing and wholeness. Need resources to help your church celebrate Laity Sunday? Visit https://www.umcdiscipleship.org/articles/laity-sunday-2023-rise-up-and-remain-committed-to-loves-teachings.
WPA Conference Laity Board
The Conference Laity Board is your voice.
The Conference Board of Laity is the elected lay leadership of the Annual Conference. The board represents and is accountable to the Annual Conference. The Conference Board of Laity is YOUR voice!
The 2016 Book of Discipline (Paragraph 631) is clear that the Board of Lay shall have responsibility for the following:
- fostering an awareness of the role of the laity,
- developing the advocacy role for laity,
- increasing the participation of laity in the life of the church
- encouraging laypersons in the general ministry of the church,
- developing and promoting programs to cultivate an adequate understanding of the theological and biblical basis for lay life and work,
- developing and promoting stewardship of time, talent and possessions,
- providing for the training of lay members to Annual Conference,
- providing support and direction for such lay programs as lay speaking, the observance of Laity Sunday, and the work of lay leaders on the local and district levels,
- organizing a conference committee on lay speaking ministries.
Peace be with you.
Conference Lay Leader