Director of Music Ministries & Worship Arts: St. Paul's UMC (Allison Park)
St Paul’s United Methodist Church in Allison Park, PA seeks a Director of Music Ministries & Worship Arts. This is a part-time salaried position of 25-30 hours/week (with potential for full-time, depending on skill and interests of the candidates as they connect with the needs of the congregation). The Director of Music Ministries & Worship Arts directs music ministries and nurtures the worship life of the congregation for weekly and special worship services, and serves as a member of the Leadership Team of the congregation under the supervision of the Lead Pastor.
The Vision of the St. Paul’s UMC Music Ministry is to welcome persons of all ages to use their talents and gifts to inspire our community of faith to worship God, grow in discipleship, and reach out to others.
Candidates must also support and uphold the St. Paul’s UMC Purpose, Mission, Vision and Welcome Statements:
Our Purpose: To make disciples of Jesus Christ
Our Mission: St. Paul’s is a welcoming broad-based community of faith, centered in Jesus Christ, engaging the spiritual gifts of our people, and sharing the grace of God with all persons.
Our Vision: We will be an inclusive, diverse church loving others according to the teachings of Jesus and working for justice and peace in our world.
Our Welcoming Statement: St. Paul’s United Methodist Church celebrates the sacred worth and value of all individuals. We welcome all who seek a home in this house of God with open hearts, open minds, and open doors. We invite people of every age, race, ethnicity, economic reality, family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, diverse ability, or legal status to join us on a journey toward full participation and service in Christ’s Church.
The Director of Music Ministries & Worship Arts will have a part-time starting salary range of $35,000 - $40,000 per year, dependent on credentials. The position will also include 4 weeks of paid vacation annually, and a reimbursement account for professional expenses. A full-time position would be additionally eligible for healthcare, pension, vision and dental insurance, and disability packages, as well as a proportionate increase in compensation.
Applicants shall submit a resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 15, 2023. Interviews and auditions will be conducted in May & June. The anticipated start date is between July 1 – August 15, 2023.
Director of Music Ministries & Worship Arts
JOB OVERVIEW .
The Director of Music Ministries & Worship Arts directs music ministries and nurtures the worship life of the congregation for weekly and special worship services.
Reports to Lead Pastor. Supervises and coordinates with other music staff, including organist.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES .
Some selection from the following, or others as discussed with the selection committee, may be considered to expand the position to full time.
- Prepares, conducts, and communicates with choirs and ensembles
- Currently, this includes Wesleyan Choir and Chapel Ringers weekly; and wind and string instrumental groups occasionally
- Recruits, supports and schedules musicians for worship and other church events; coordinates with praise band, children/youth music leaders and other musicians as needed
- Works with pastors to design weekly and special worship services, and prepare worship guides
- Ensures compliance with licensing and reporting requirements for recording and livestreaming of music and artistic worship elements
- Schedules and oversees instrument maintenance
- Organizes and maintains St. Paul’s Music Library and music inventory spreadsheet
- Work within music budget and keep records of music fund expenditures
- Serve as liaison to community choirs, ensembles, and musicians who use St. Paul’s building and/or instruments
- Develop outreach ministries that connect St. Paul’s musicians with area nursing homes, schools, or other community organizations
- Facilitate rich online worship experiences through sound/video technology (ie, tech skills)
- Collaborate with Children’s and/or Youth Ministries Directors to develop and/or lead age-level music programming
- Collaborate with volunteers and staff to prepare sanctuary and worship space for services, attending to visual, sacramental and liturgical elements
- Develop and lead arts and/or theater programming
- Develop music programming for Weekday Ministries (preschool and school-age)
- Expand and develop contemporary/modern music ministries
- Consults and coordinates regularly with:
- Staff Leadership Team, including Lead & Associate Pastors
- Office Staff
- Music Staff, including Organist and Praise Band
- Volunteer Teams: Worship Support & Tech Production
- Maintains membership in broader church organizations & professional societies.
SCOPE OF POSITION .
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree in music education, theory or performance required; advanced degree preferred.
- Experience in choral directing or music teaching.
- Ability to develop and nurture community among musicians and congregation
- Willingness to provide spiritual leadership to musicians and congregation, fostering a rich worship life of the congregation
- Working knowledge of computers and ability to navigate online licensing platforms
- Basic knowledge of livestreaming and sound technology
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Support of St. Paul’s Purpose, Mission, Vision and Welcome Statement
Minimum of 25 hrs / week, to include Sunday mornings and Wednesday and Thursday evenings. Some daytime availability preferred. Holiday responsibilities will be required. Anticipated start date between July 1 – August 15, 2023.
Potential to grow the position up to full-time, depending on skills and interests of candidate and needs of the congregation.