First U M Church
Bernard A Fuska
436 Vine St Ste 102
About First U M Church
First United Methodist Church began in 1838 as a United Brethren “class.” In 1943 a church was organized known as First United Brethren Church of Johnstown. Our current building was built in 1910.
In 1946 the Church was the scene of the merger of the United Brethren with the Evangelical denomination, becoming known as “First Evangelical United Brethren Church. In 1968 it participated in the merger of the Evangelical United Brethren denomination and the Methodist denomination, becoming First United Methodist Church of Johnstown. It also was involved in the merger between the Evangelical United Brethren Conference and the Methodist Conference of Western Pennsylvania, which became the Western Pennsylvania conference of the United Methodist Church.
In 1996 the General Conference of The United Methodist Church designated First United Methodist Church of Johnstown as a “Heritage Landmark.”
First Church has survived three major floods, 1889, 1936 and 1977, bouncing back each time to continue their mission of making disciples of Jesus Christ. We previously hosted the United Methodist Human Services, and currently host several AA meetings in our efforts to reach out to the community.
Main Service Time
Totally Accessible (level, mechanical or ramped entry to the sanctuary, fellowship hall, educational areas and restrooms)
Church #: 187875
Johnstown: First Charge
view in Google