Asbury U M Church


Victoria R Heath
Senior Pastor

Contact Information
(814) 796-6012
Mailing Address
27 West 2nd St
PO Box 808
Waterford, PA 16441-0808
Physical Address
Waterford, PA 16441


About Asbury U M Church
History of Asbury United Methodist Church in Waterford, PA 

Methodism began in Waterford in 1814 when Reverend William Paddock, a Circuit Rider, first held services in homes of people interested in worship. The first Methodist Society, formed in 1816, met in a building that had been a Cooper Shop between the Eagle and Fort LeBoeuf Hotels. In 1835, Asbury Methodist Church was organized and Reverend Hiram Luce was appointed regular pastor in 1849. 

In 1854, a brick church was erected at the corner of Fourth and Cherry Streets for the 90 member congregation. An annex was built in 1923 and was enlarged in 1929. On November 23, 1946, a fire destroyed the interior of this church. The United Presbyterians invited the Methodists to use their church, located on W. Second and Walnut Streets, as a place for worship. It had been built between 1835 and 1838. In 1868, the building was expanded and a belfry and bell were added. In the fall of 1947, the Methodists bought this Presbyterian Church and parsonage. 

A two-story church school annex was built on the south side of the church in 1948. The Bemis property was purchased in 1956 and in 1968 a ten-room educational unit was added. 

In 1995, the congregation had a very successful "Renew and Rebuild" campaign to renovate the Sanctuary. Many structural issues were addressed as the sanctuary was updated and secured for many years to come. 

In 2000, a new parsonage located at 125 E. 7th St. was purchased from the family of a deceased member. The former parsonage was razed and the land was converted into a parking lot. 

Today, Asbury United Methodist Church is a very vibrant and active church in Waterford. We offer many activities and small groups to enhance your knowledge and beliefs.


Service Times

Main Service Time

School Time

Physical Accessibility
Totally Accessible (level, ramped entry to the sanctuary & restroom, chair lift to fellowship hall and educational areas and restrooms)

At the corner of Walnut and West 2nd Streets

Erie-Meadville District
Church #: 089923

Waterford: Asbury Charge

view in Google